VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Christopher Chaltain <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Christopher Chaltain <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Sep 2021 11:12:40 +0000
Agreed about unintended consequences, which is why we need people to realize that some of these issues are complicated and can't be explained or solved in a sound bight, especially from those who are trying to pin blame or push a political agenda. You bring up the example of bus drivers. I heard an interview with a bus driver the other day, and she was talking about how miserable a job driving buses is. Add to that the fact that a lot of school districts don't have any separation between drivers and school children plus several states make it illegal for school districts to enforce wearing masks on school buses where children can't be vaccinated, where they may be asymptomatic and of course social distancing isn't possible. Sure maybe there are some bus drivers out there who could have gotten by without their low wages from driving a bus with their stimulus checks and unemployment benefits, but I also don't begrudge a bus driver who doesn't want to place themselves in a tin can full of germs, especially if they're in a high risk group. IMHO, people who spread misinformation about vaccines and who cloak their selfishness in the guise of freedom of choice are much more to blame for our flagging economy then any of the stimulus packages. I agree we need to be patient, and that means putting up with the inconvenience of wearing masks and socially distancing for a few more months and not engaging in the spread of misinformation around vaccines.

--
Christopher (AKA CJ)
Chaltain at Outlook