VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sat, 30 Nov 2019 21:48:19 -0800
Hi All,

There is no question here.

I just want to whine about the fact that most non-full-sized keyboards
for Windows leave out the right ctrl key. I use this key a lot. I use it
to close the current window; to cut, copy, and paste; to save; and to
enjoy random text editing tricks like centering a line of text and
applying hanging indents to paragraphs. When I don't have this key, I
find myself doing lots of clumsy fumbling for these commands.

I just finished setting up my new Surface Pro 7, a replacement for last
month's, which kept speaking random French to me, and I'm in a sulk
because, even its type cover keyboard, which is fairly big and roomy,
includes the application key rather than the right ctrl key. I don't
mind giving up the

application key because shift+f10 gets me there and because I already
know I need to take my hands off the typing area to select an option.

Every other Bluetooth keyboard I have is also missing the right ctrl
key. I have a vague memory of having had this key in the past, but I
can't swear on a stack of bibles. I've checked into remapping, but my
understanding is that the right and left Windows keys can't be remapped,
and this is usually what's in the place of the trusty right ctrl key.

If anyone knows of a comfortable Bluetooth keyboard for Windows with a
right ctrl key, please post. Right now, I just take a big USB keyboard
if I know I'm going to be using this key a lot.

Ciao

Archived on the World Wide Web at
    Signoff: [log in to unmask]
    Subscribe: [log in to unmask]