VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Tue, 22 Jan 2019 12:59:33 -0800
Hi All,

Generally speaking, I really like the new Narrator. The keystrokes are
easier to remember because they're familiar from other screen readers.
They're easier on the hands (i.e., fewer keys to mess with). And the
screen reader over all is more stable and responsive. I find myself
using Narrator for longer and longer periods of time.

One aspect of Narrator that has me stumped is how to expand submenus,
the kind where you right-arrow once to bring up more options. Sometimes
pressing right-arrow works, like when I'm using Word. I press the
applications key, arrow down to an item, then right-arrow to expand.
Other times, however, hitting right-arrow does nothing.

Two instances where right-arrow doesn't expand a submenu in Narrator are
these:

* In Chrome, I press alt+f to get into options, b to get into bookmarks,
then the first letter of an item, (e.g., N for NLS BARD). With Jaws, I
just hit the sequence of letters. With NVDA, I think I have to
right-arrow once before hitting the letter that corresponds to the
bookmark. But with Narrator, I hit alt+f, then B, then I get stuck.
Narrator tells me the submenu is expanded, but I can't access the
bookmarks themselves. I've tried right-arrow, enter, space, and lots of
bad language.

* In Thunderbird, I have a number of email accounts. I tab to the tree
view that lists them. Then I up- or down-arrow to the account I want and
right-arrow once to open it, tabbing once more to get into the message
list. This works the same way with Jaws and NVDA, but with Narrator, I
can't right-arrow once to open the email folder.

Does anyone know the command for this, or is this something that doesn't
work in Narrator yet?

Thanks for any wisdom.

Ciao

Archived on the World Wide Web at