VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Everett Gavel <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Everett Gavel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Dec 2017 17:38:55 -0700
Hi Harry, and all,

No, Harry, unfortunately you are not alone in your thinking.

Yes, in Windows 8.1, it's tru I can arrow down 17 times to get to the Shut Down option. Or I can arrow up twice to get to the same option. Then arrow right once, then up once for Restart and hit Enter, or twice for Shutdown and hit Enter. It was quicker and easier using first-letter navigation via the keyboard, indeed. However, I choose to focus on the fact that I just used the word, "can," twice. Rather than saying I simply can't. Consider it. At least we get to say "can," still, in this instance at least. I am thankful for that.

If a thing continues to frustrate you, any of you, please, feel free to take charge and do something about it. Back around 30 years ago now, when Ted Henter went blind and came upon a disappointing level of useful accessibility available back then, well, he didn't just gripe about it now and then. He chose to change it and do something about it. He learned what he needed to, and began building a better mousetrap, as they say. Soon, the world was introduced to what we now commonly refer to as JAWS.

It is far easier to get such changes made in today's Internet-based world than ever before. For anyone! Not just for Type-A personalities.

Just sayin. We will continue to appear as victims, as long as we let ourselves be, or to feel like, victims. I tend to think the world is setup so that we can most easily choose that option whenever we wish to. But there are always, always, other options. Most times, however, the large majority of us don't want to put forth the effort needed to grab hold of those other options. I'm not pointing fingers at anyone. I'm usually in the large majority on this, too -- though I hate admitting that. (smile)

Anyway, Harry, just arrow up twice maybe? Not sure what version of Windows you have, but I'm thinking it's 10? Sounds similar or the same, though, in what you said below.

Blessings to your efforts, Sir.

Strive On!
Everett
And Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to All! (and to all a good night!)