VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Fri, 13 Oct 2017 19:15:45 -0700
Hi All,

I'm trying Dictation Bridge on my Windows 10 Creators netbook. My setup
is NVDA and Microsoft Speech Recognition. Initial results aren't great.
Part of the problem seems to be Dictation Bridge. Part seems to be the
speech recognition software. I'm posting here to understand how to
improve things.

I installed the add-on last night and set up speech recognition--all as
described on the Dictation Bridge website:
http://dictationbridge.com/docs/
  That went well though a couple of things weren't clear to me from the
documentation:

* After installing the add-on, I had to restart the netbook for things
to work.

* Before using my voice for the first time during a session, I need to
go into the overflow area (i.e., press Windows+B, arrow to the
notification chevron, press the space bar once, then press the left
arrow once) to find the speech recognition icon. After that, I need to
press space bar to open its context menu, then find and check the option
that says something like, "Speech recognition is listening."

* After turning on speech recognition for the session, I just say,
"Start listening," or "Listen to me," then issue commands or start
dictation.

* When dictating, I need to stop speaking when the screen reader starts
reading what's been typed. When the screen reader is done, I can
continue dictating without having to say, "Start listening" again.

Everything I've said to this point is pretty consistent and predictable.

Here are some of my issues:

* To stop speech recognition, you're supposed to say, "Stop listening,"
or "Go to Sleep." Neither of these commands are working for me. I need
to go back into the Speech Recognition context menu to check the box
that says something like, "Go to sleep."

Is there a setting somewhere I need to change?

* My results are hit and miss. The documentation says to speak clearly
and do more training sessions. I've done some of both, but some results
are still rough. For example, I said, "Oh, my goodness," and the text
that appeared on the screen was, "in a bit."

Is recognition going to improve over time on its own, or do I need to
keep retraining, etc.

* Right now I'm using the netbook's built-in microphone, which sometimes
gives me great results, and other times, not so much. When I plug in a
microphone, do I go through speech recognition set up all over again, or
will the netbook figure it out?

Thanks for any help.

Ciao

Archived on the World Wide Web at