VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Wed, 20 Sep 2017 20:36:26 -0700
Hi All,

This is probably OT, but since smart phones are mini computers, I
decided to go ahead and ask. Basically, the question is this:

Does anyone on list use a finger ring phone holder? If yes, how do you
do it, and does it help with wrist pain?

I have a sensitive wrist from years and years of typing. Sometimes I use
my smart phone by laying it on my lap or on a table and exploring with
whichever hand is free. Other times, I can't really put my phone down
anywhere, so I hold it in my right hand, the one with the sensitive
wrist, and explore with my left. While holding the phone in my right
hand works, it quickly becomes uncomfortable because I cock my wrist
back and hold my thumb away from my palm at an unhealthy angle.

To ease discomfort, I've been experimenting. What's worked best so far
is to hold my hand so that it's on a straight line with my arm and to
hold my thumb close to my hand, sort of beside my palm. This isn't
something I can do when I'm walking around because I risk dropping the
phone, but I can do it in most other situations.

someone suggested I try using a finger ring holder. I bought one. It
reminds me of a smallish key ring with a charm that is about the same
size as the ring. The charm has adhesive so you can stick it on to the
back of the phone. The idea is that you put your finger through the
ring. Based on what I've read, you can pretty much use any finger,
including your thumb, though most people use their middle or ring finger.

I tried using one. I liked that I didn't have to worry about dropping
the phone, but I found that I was experiencing the same discomfort from
when I cocked my hand back, regardless of which finger I slid through
the ring.

I stopped using the ring holder after only a couple of days because the
ring broke off while the phone was in my pocket. I think I read
somewhere that you're supposed to put the phone in your pocket with the
screen facing your body, but I didn't read those instructions until
after I broke my ring holder.

Anyway, I'm wondering whether I should try again. I don't honestly feel
like it's helpful, but maybe I'm not doing it right.

Ciao

Archived on the World Wide Web at
    Signoff: [log in to unmask]
    Subscribe: [log in to unmask]