VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
ted chittenden <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
ted chittenden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Feb 2017 08:21:50 -0700
Ana:
To add to Pratik's suggestions (assuming you're using JAWS): If the standard repair/reinstall doesn't work, I'd recommend completely uninstalling all of JAWS' components, sending your current copy of the JFW installation to the recycle bin, downloading the latest version of the software that you have a license for from the Freedom Scientific website, and then installing JAWS as completely new software. If memory serves, starting with JAWS 16, when you uninstall all of JAWS' components, that no longer removes the JAWS fingerprint from your hard drive (it doesn't mine). If, for some reason, that fingerprint is removed, make sure that you have your fingerprint disk handy so that you don't have to run JFW in demonstration mode until you can contact Freedom Scientific on Monday.
--
Ted Chittenden

Every story has at least two sides if not more.
---- Pratik Patel <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Hello Ana,

I believe I know what the problem is. A couple of questions first.

1. Do you remember if these problems started happening after you applied a Windows update?
2. Same question about JAWS updates.
3. What specific versions of Windows are you using on the corrupted machine? Are you using the same versions of Windows and JAWS on your laptop?

These questions may not even be necessary to answer if you can download either the latest version of JAWS 17 or JAWS 18 (if you have the license) and run an update or repair as necessary. I suspect that a video driver was updated on your desktop that corrupted JAWS' Video intercept. It could also have been something caused by a JAWS update. Things like have known to have happened in the past.