VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Harry Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Harry Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Jan 2017 16:15:16 -0500
Hi all,
Running windows 10, version 1607.
This afternoon, I decided to test windows speech recognition in windows
10, using different screen readers.
Here's what I found:
1. jaws. With Jaws, I could tell speech recognition, )(from now on I
will refer to speech recognition, as sr). I could say "press down arrow,
and it would down arrow and read icons on the desktop, but it was kind
of shaky elsewhere. I could launch programs with it, but after that, it
was not good.
2. NVDA. With NVDA on the other hand, it was, wonderful! I could tell it
to start different programs, and it would, and I could tell it what
commands to press, and it would press them. I could read emails in
Thunderbird. I could browse web pages with SR and internet explorer,
using my favorites, and, I could read documents with it!!!.
3. Narrator. I could browse web pages with narrator and internet
explorer, and I could read documents using Narrator!
Now as far as typing with it, speech recognition was not good at typing,
and, none of the screen readers would echo back what I typed. But if you
want to use windows speech recognition, and you want to read documents,
or browse web pages, or read emails, go for it!!!!
Harry

Archived on the World Wide Web at
    Signoff: [log in to unmask]
    Subscribe: [log in to unmask]