VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sun, 8 Jan 2017 19:32:00 -0800
Hi All,

What does the Facebook recovery code do: let you change your password or
give you your existing password?

I don't use Facebook very often for lots of reasons. One of them is that
I tend to forget my password, so signing in results in lots of wasted
time and accompanying frustration. Not good for something that is
supposed to be fun.

A few months ago, I changed my FB password yet again and logged into the
FB app on my phone. This afternoon, while I was on my computer, I
received one of those emails that says someone updated his status, so I
tried to go into Facebook to read the new status from my computer.
Again, I had trouble signing in.

Originally, I thought the problem was that I was misremembering my
latest password. Later I realized that some of my difficulties stemmed
from my screen reader (i.e., Jaws) reporting the user name box as blank
when I used up/down-arrow and say line, so I kept adding text to a field
that already had text, thus entering an incorrect user name.

By the time I figured this out, Facebook decided I had too many failed
attempts and sent me an email with a recovery code and a link to reset
my password. The way the email is written, it sounds like the recovery
code does the same as the change password link, but they're presented as
two separate options.

I'd really rather not change my password again. Would the recovery code
let me verify my old password and keep using it? If no, is there some
other way to get my old password and stay with it? I'm 99% sure I'm
right about the password, but want to be sure for when I try again.

Thanks for any help.

Ciao

Archived on the World Wide Web at
    Signoff: [log in to unmask]