VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
peter altschul <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
peter altschul <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Mar 2016 07:34:18 -0500
Big News: Twitter Is Adding Alt Text for Images

Posted on 3-29-2016 at 12:10 PM Elizabeth Neal
  Twitter released a blog post today announcing Accessible Images
for Everyone.  The post explains, "Starting today, people using
our iOS and Android apps can add descriptions - also known as
alternative text (alt text) - to images in Tweets," and goes on
to describe how to enable the new feature.
  "We applaud Twitter's access efforts.  Tens of thousands of
people who are blind or visually impaired use Twitter every day,
and they will be excited to use and benefit from this increased
level of accessibility," says Lee Huffman, AccessWorld Editor and
Manager, Technology Information.
  Note that you must update your iOS and Android apps to access
the new feature, and then enable it within your app's
accessibility settings.
  We hope that Twitter will move quickly to make this the default
setting, instead of something that has to be enabled user by
user.  And we're also looking forward to seeing alt tags enabled
on the web platform itself, which apparently is coming soon.
  Thank you, Twitter, for making your platform more accessible to
everyone!

Archived on the World Wide Web at
    Signoff: [log in to unmask]
    Subscribe: [log in to unmask]