VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
ted chittenden <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
ted chittenden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Feb 2016 05:09:39 -0700
Jim and Al:
Neither of you provided crucial information; namely which version of Windows you are currently using. The steps to change the power settings are different, depending on if you are using Windows 7 or 10 (I cannot speak for Windows 8, because I never used it).

In Windows 7, your best bet is to go to your Control Panel and then search for "Power Options" without the quotes. One of the links in that list is to choose what the power buttons do. Here you can set up whether and when your computer sleeps and/or hibernates.

If you are using Windows 10, it's actually a little easier using the following steps:

1) Press Windows Key+I to access your settings menu.

2) Highlight "System" and press the enter key.

3) Highlight "Power and Sleep" and press the enter key.

4) Tab to "When computer is plugged in, turn off after" and press the enter key.

5) Use the up and down arrow keys to select "Never" and press the Enter key.

6) Tab to "When computer is plugged in, go to sleep after" and press the enter key.

7) Use the up and down arrow keys to select "Never" and press the enter key.

8) Press alt+F4 to exit the settings menu.

This will stop the system from going to sleep or hibernating while you are in the middle of any process.
--
Ted Chittenden

Every story has at least two sides if not more.
---- Jim Hamilton <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Others on this list will have more details; but for now, I would recommend changing your “shutdown” settings so that your PC/laptop “never” goes into “Hibernation or sleep mode”.  It seems to me that when our machines go into either of these modes, any “processes” are at risk of being terminated/interupted.  This kind of interuption has happened to me with other kinds of processes, but not with this application.

Can anyone else provide instructions for how to do this, and/or shed more light on this matter?

Jim H