VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Wed, 12 Feb 2014 12:51:23 -0800
Hi all,

Since I know others here are starting to use Windows 8.1, I'm posting
instructions for moving icons to the desktop. The process isn't
intuitive. It's not hard either. It just feels like it the first time or
two. Also, some programs can't be moved.

1. Find the program. the easiest way to do this is to press the
Start/Windows key or ctrl+esc, and just start typing the name of the
program. The more letters you type, the closer to the top your title
will appear in the results list, but you only need to type a few
letters. Hit tab repeatedly until you reach the name of your program.

2. Press the Context key or shift+F10 on the name of the program.

3. Tab or right-arrow to Open File Location, and press enter.

4. You are now on the name of the program. Press the Context key or
shift+F10.

5. Down-arrow to Send to; then right-arrow once, and down-arrow to
Desktop, pressing enter there.

That's it. you can press Windows+m to go to the desktop and find your
shortcut. Sometimes the icon appears as Word; other times, as Word
Shortcut. You can, of course, edit the name by pressing the context key
or shift+F10 and pressing enter on Rename.

Like I said earlier, some programs can't be moved to the desktop. For
these, you don't find Open File Location in Step 3.

Hope this helps.

Ciao

Archived on the World Wide Web at
    Signoff: [log in to unmask]