VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Thu, 23 Jan 2014 18:26:49 -0800
I just bought a Lenovo all-in-one running Windows 8.1. So far, I'm very
happy with it. I think the computer is a Lenovo 440C and costs about
$600 on Amazon. Basically, it's a 21-inch monitor with built-in
speakers, a CD/DVD drawer, and a bunch of ports. It comes with a
keyboard and mouse, so what's sitting on my desk is a monitor and a
keyboard. The sound is really good.

XP is a little different from Windows 7, and windows 7 is a little
different from Windows 8.1. If you go to the 8.1 desktop, the
differences between XP and 8.1 are much smaller than they may at first
seem. That said, there are a couple of things that are weirdly
unintuitive in Windows 8.1. One is that My Computer is no longer on the
desktop, and the process for finding it and putting it there is pretty
obscure. fortunately, the Windows+e key works. Also, having just spent
two weeks setting up my new computer, I've become suddenly aware of how
much tweaking we do over the course of our time with a machine. I've
been doing things like telling Windows to show me file extensions,
telling Word to turn off smart quotes, telling Thunderbird not to ask if
I really want to send that message, etc.

For your twelve-year-old son, you might consider a little notebook
computer, the kind that are almost small enough to be netbooks. They
cost about $300 and can be bought at places like Target and Wal-Mart. I
have an Acer Aspire One that I use on the go. It's a little slow, but
being about an inch thick and roughly the size of a large magazine, it's
small enough and light enough to carry around without much fuss. My
college freshmen have similar computers though more and more are
bringing tablets, like iPads and Nexus 7s, to class and using them for
notes and drafts.

Archived on the World Wide Web at
    Signoff: [log in to unmask]
    Subscribe: [log in to unmask]