VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Thu, 23 Jan 2014 06:37:15 -0800
Android is also an accessible smart phone platform. I hear lots of
people say that it's for techy types and that it requires a lot of
customization. I disagree with both statements. The Samsung phone your
brother has is probably an Android.

I would say that iPhone accessibility is still a little more polished
than Android's, but I think the difference is small. iPhone
accessibility also has better documentation, so it's probably easier to
get started without joining a mailing list. As an Android user, however,
I think these are minor considerations.

Whatever OS you choose, a Bluetooth keyboard is a good idea if you plan
to do a lot of typing, but I think that, if you plan to use a touch
screen device, you should really try hard to go touch screen all the
way, at least for the first few months. The experience is very different
from what we're used to, so the adjustment is a big one, which takes
time and may involve some frustration. But once you understand how touch
screens work and get used to relying on muscle memory to locate icons
and perform tasks, things can go very quickly and fairly smoothly.
on-screen Typing is slow, but it's good enough for short tasks like text
messages and searches. For longer writing tasks, you can use voice input
and on-screen editing or you can use a Bluetooth keyboard.

Whether you go Android or iOS, it'll probably take about two weeks to
learn the basics (i.e., use common gestures successfully and perform
some common tasks, like making phone calls and checking email). It'll
take another two or three weeks to really feel comfortable with most
aspects of the device, though proficient on-screen typing may take an
additional month or two.

Archived on the World Wide Web at
    Signoff: [log in to unmask]
    Subscribe: [log in to unmask]