Date:
Sun, 10 Oct 2021 00:35:25 -0400

It finally occurred to me that I passed along some misleading information in
my excitement at finding the “gf” breads at Wegmans.   I’ve been meaning to
write again and  then I was nudged today by another list serv member.

In my excitement I overlooked that the breads are not truly gf but have “no
gluten containing ingredients.”  That seems to be aok with me.  I have no
observable problems with things so labelled.  I’m not a diagnosed celiac,
having gone gf on my own and finding a dozen or so symptoms disappear when I
did so.  I recently had a real gluten exposure and some of those symptoms
returned so I got a reminder what a gluten attack was like.

The other listserv member had contacted Wegmans and here, in part, is their
reply.  I had been meaning to stop by and ask about the preparation area.  I
should have tried harder to get somebody’s attention the day I was there.  I
wasn’t prepared for this answer:

> The breads that you are referring to are part of our line of Made with No
Gluten-Containing Ingredients products.  These breads are not gluten-free
because they are produced in our stores and may contain gluten due to shared
preparation areas.   Here is a link where you can read more about our Made
with No Gluten-Containing Ingredients claim
<https://www.wegmans.com/health-nutrition/special-diets/#gf>
https://www.wegmans.com/health-nutrition/special-diets/#gf

> There are two varieties of breads:

>    Made with No Gluten-Containing Ingredients Oatmeal Bread

>    Made with No Gluten-Containing Ingredients Ancient Grain Bread…

… You may also contact our Customer Care Center by calling 1-800-WEGMANS
(934-6267), or email through the "Contact Us" link on wegmans.com.”

I am so sorry if I got your hopes up.  Perhaps the interest shown in these
breads will convince Wegmans to go the extra mile to provide truly gf
breads.

For myself, I’ll continue to enjoy them in moderation and hope I’m not doing
low level damage.  I wish there was a test that would tell me, and people
like me, what the nature of our intolerance is.   I went gf on my own as one
of many things I tried when my doctor was clueless to help.   Bingo!  I
later had the gene test which said “homozygous DQ2.”  And celiac experts
have said, judging from my symptoms, that I probably had celiac disease.
But I may never know for sure without some new testing developments.  So I’m
sure I’m less careful than if I had a real diagnosis like most of you.
I’ve never been willing to undergo a real gluten challenge after the
epiphany of  the gluten free diet.  I’ve been gf for 23 ˝ years now and have
had no major health problems aside from colds and flu since going gf  (knock
on wood) whereas my siblings, who would never listen to me, have all passed
away.  My three sibs had three different sets of health issues but research
suggests that they all  could most likely have been helped with a gf diet.

Btw, a lamb burger on an ancient grains bun was awesome!

Mary in upstate NY