From:
Colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Nov 2015 17:57:09 -0700
I think if you do allot of rag chewing the studio mike is nice as it can be
placed conveniently, you don't have to hold it, and the audio is typically
going to be nicer to listen to for the other guy compared to a hand mike or
desk mike which both have their place, but aren't necesarily fun to listen
to for hours on end.
I've used a few, but keep coming back to the SM58 straight into the radio,
or through a inexpensive studio mike tube preamp.  It's not necesarily about
getting massively wide full range audio, but clean, crisp smooth audio
rather than naissally boxy audio like with a stock hand mike or amplified
desk mike.
Honestly, you can pick up a decent studio mike, tube preamp, cable, and
stand with a boom for less than a new desk mike, or in some cases, stock
hand mike from any of the big 3.  You can go nuts too of course, but you
don't have to do that for nice smooth, articulate enjoyable audio from your
rig to the other guy.
I also find that with any studio type mikes aimed at the ham radio market,
the prices are stupidly high.  Microphones are getting cheaper and cheaper
all the time in the pro audio world, and what used to cost 300 bucks is now
less than $100 for the same thing.  Heil is even expensive in comparison to
major microphone manufacturers...but it's partially the bragging rights etc
that go along with it...not too many guys like to brag about an apex,
behringer or senheiser mike when the second they say heil everyone tells
them how great and wonderful they sound...if it's a behringer pencil
condenser people start to criticize and opinionate about it because it's
cheaper...though more often than not the quality is better.
Anyway, studio mikes have their place certainly and one can spend as little
or as much as one chooses, just like anything else in ham radio from radios
to antennas to towers to amplifiers to accessories...

73
Colin, V A6BKX