VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sun, 23 Oct 2016 06:45:40 -0700
Hi All,

Harry, nice instructions for keeping a ledger in Word pad. I used to do
something similar by creating a table in a Word document and doing the
math myself.

I think the question of how to keep track of one's money is tricky.

I manage my personal checking account in braille, each transaction on a
different note card. This is the quickest and easiest way for me to
record, organize, and consult, but I get sloppy about random ATM
withdrawals.

I manage my business in Excel. This is for anything my accountant needs
to see, like my invoices and expenses. since I'm not good with Excel, my
spreadsheet is very basic. This method is also pretty quick and simple,
because I enter each transaction as it happens, so I'm not bogged down
with a whole lot and mostly I just print out the spreadsheet at the end
of the year.

Lately, I've discovered two great checkbook apps for Android. Well, one
is great. The other is equally accessible, but I'm still experimenting
with it. In both, you just start a new transaction and enter its
details. The app does the math for you and shows you a tidy list. Both
also generate reports. In one case, you can export the report to Google
Sheets or as an Excel file. The other app appears to have this feature,
but I haven't tested it yet. Anyway, the apps are really easy to use,
and for the first time, I feel what sighted people must in that my
checking and savings book are always handy for me to check or add a
transaction. They have the added benefit of not creating lots of
transcription work for me to do.

Ciao