VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Tue, 17 Nov 2015 22:12:17 -0500
Hello,
My name is Dustin Adams, I am a PhD student at UC Santa Cruz in Computer
Science working with Professor Sri Kurniawan in the Interactive Systems
for Individuals with Special Needs Lab. Your contact information came
from a study that was done with Professors Sri Kurniawan and Roberto
Manduchi titled Walking Accidents. I am recruiting people to take part
in a user study that aims to give more information about how people who
are blind organize photographs using an iPhone app that I developed
called VizSnap. The nature of the user study will last 3 months, will
require a Skype meeting between yourself and myself once every two
weeks, and will require you to take 5 photos with your iPhone every 2
days. If you decide that you would like to take part in this user study,
the only requirements will be that you own an iPhone, and that you are
willing to take photos in your day-to-day life using VizSnap. If you
decide to take part in this user study, you will be given a $10 Amazon gift
   card every two weeks for the 3 months of the user study. Thanks a lot
for making it this far in the email, and please keep reading to find out
more details about the user study!
A little bit of information about VizSnap, it is targeted to assist
people who are blind to take photos and organize their photos into a
photo album. The app works by recording audio while the user is aiming
their camera, then when the user snaps a photo, the user is given the
option to record a voice memo. The point of the voice memo is to give a
piece of custom information to the photo to help with locating it later
on. Time, date, and location is also taken automatically by the app when
the photo is taken. Finally, when browsing through photos, the user is
able to hear the audio that was recorded when the photo was taken, hear
(via VoiceOver) the time, date, and location the photo was taken. The
user has the option to send the photo via email, or post the photo to
facebook. By default, the photo album is organized by date.
I would like your help in asking that you use VizSnap for three months,
meeting with me once every 2 weeks on Skype, and answering a short
questionnaire about how the usage of the app is going during each
meeting, as well as gathering your photos and audio recordings from your
iPhone, which will be kept confidential, and analyzed only by myself.
The photos, time, date, location, and audio of the photos will be
analyzed to help develop a deeper understanding of how people who are
blind organize and use photos. All information related to the photos and
your identity will be kept absolutely confidential.
Thank you very much for your time and I hope that you consider taking
part with this user study. Please respond no later than Tuesday November
25, 2015 if you are interested in taking part in this user study.
To read about the instructions for using VizSnap, please visit this
link: https://users.soe.ucsc.edu/~dustinadams/vizSnap_instructions.pdf
To read the test plan for the user study, please visit this link:
https://users.soe.ucsc.edu/~dustinadams/vizSnap_test_plan.pdf

Sincerely,
Dustin Adams
PhD Candidate, Department of Computer Science
University of California, Santa Cruz

Archived on the World Wide Web at
    Signoff: [log in to unmask]
    Subscribe: [log in to unmask]