VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Fri, 1 Aug 2014 08:35:14 -0700
Hi All,

How do we find the keyboard layout in Windows, using Jaws or NVDA?

People who work in multiple languages usually go into the control
panel's Language settings to set up a keyboard layout for each of their
languages. then they cycle through the layouts with a hotkey, usually
left alt+shift. So my keyboard layout is set to English by default, but
when I tap ctrl+shift, I go into Spanish, and when I hit the hotkey
again, I go back to English. the beauty of using an alternate keyboard
layout is that typing accents is easy: apostrophe followed by A
automatically becomes a-acute.

Jaws and NVDA both tell me which language I'm toggling into when I hit
my keyboard hotkey. Sometimes I toggle it by accident. In those cases,
the screen reader doesn't always tell me because I press another key
immediately after, cutting off speech, so I don't realize I'm in a
different layout until I press a key that doesn't give me the expected
feedback.

since I work only in two languages, it's not a big deal for me, but
other people work in three or more, so having quick access to the
keyboard layout is handy. does anyone know how to make the screen reader
announce this information or where to find it quickly?

Btw, this question came up on a list for blind interpreters and
translators after someone's sighted colleague mentioned this information
is displayed at the bottom of the screen.

Ciao

Archived on the World Wide Web at
    Signoff: [log in to unmask]
    Subscribe: [log in to unmask]