VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Fri, 11 Feb 2022 10:31:38 -0800
I haven't used Zoom with Jaws in a while, so I don't know how helpful
this is. Mostly I've used Zoom with Narrator or NVDA. When I was using
Jaws, I noticed that sometimes Jaws would stop speaking. Sometimes
speech would come back; other times it wouldn't. This didn't happen
often, but it happened often enough for me to mistrust Jaws with Zoom.

Anyway, instead of restarting Zoom or my computer, I would restart Jaws.
Sometimes I would just use the Jaws hotkey of alt+ctrl+j. Sometimes I
would use the recovery hotkey, which I don't remember now, maybe
Jaws+Windows+alt (hope someone corrects me if that's wrong). Sometimes I
would have to stop Jaws (Jaws+F4 followed by enter), then restart Jaws.

Eventually, I switched to NVDA with Zoom. One benefit is that it's super
easy to send screen reader chatter to the computer speakers so it's not
interfering with Zoom on the headset. The NVDA command for this is
ctrl+NVDA+s, then tab to Audio Output to select an option.