VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Duane Farrar <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Duane Farrar <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Mar 2021 12:28:05 -0400
Hi All,

OK, here's the wrinkle. The Gmail email account does not end with
@gmail.com domain name. Instead, it uses the following convention:

I cannot seem to get the account settings quite right using IMAP. Should
the incoming server name be IMAP.GMAIL.COM, .GMAIL.COM (WITH A LEADING
PERIOD AND ASSUMING Thunderbird automatically inserts the IMAP part) or
simply gmail.com (with no leading period)? I know the incoming server
port should be 993, but what should the authentication settings be? (The
Gmail and Thunderbird help pages don't quite explain things well enough
and don't really match up with what I'm seeing on the screen.)

Likewise, for the outgoing SMTP server there is a drop-down box with a
Gmail option using port 465, but again I am unsure of the proper SSL and
authentication settings.

I've tried various combinations of settings and making sure my password
is correct, etc., but I can't get it right. Thunderbird is displaying
error messages that I can't find on the screen and read with JAWS, but I
know they're there.

If anyone has set up a similar type of Gmail account within Thunderbird
and can help with the proper settings I will truly appreciate it!

Thanks,
Duane

--
Duane Farrar