VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dan Tevelde <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dan Tevelde <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Aug 2019 09:12:57 -0500
Hello Samson,

I'm not an Android expert but have used both Samsung and Google phones.  You will probably have a better experience using TalkBack as your screenreader.  TalkBack is free and you can get it in the Google Play Store. Unfortunately, you will probaly need sighted assistance to get started.

First, disable Samsung tex-to-speech by going into settings accessibility and unchecking the checkbox for text-to-speech.  Go to the Google Play Store and install TalkBack.  Google determines which version of TalkBack  is the right version for your Samsung phone.  After you install TalkBack, go to settings accessibility and enable it as a service.  It should start speaking.  There may be other settings about setting the accessibility volume and using sounds but I can't remember where they are.  You can always use the search or voice search functions in the settings menu to find the options you need.  Before you start, make sure your phone is up-to-date.  I can't quite remember where to do that but it is somewhere in settings.  I think you go to language and input, advanced, and one other option I forget.  If you can successfully get your phone talking, you can decide whether you want to type directly on the phone which I think is tedious, or get a BlueTooth keyboard and pair that with your phone.  I hope this helps.

I'm sure there are other people on this list who know more about Android than I do, but what I just said should get you started.  I am primarily an iOS user but use an Android phone on my job.

Thanks,
Dan

Sent from my iPhone