VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
ted chittenden <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
ted chittenden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Dec 2016 06:42:48 -0700
Ana:
I would suggest that you call your Internet service provider and have them check your Internet connection with you on the phone--it is possible that a cable between your computer and where it plugs into the network may have shorted out.

I don't know who your internet service provider is, but mine is Cox, and I have used both their automated phone system and a live technician on the phone to assist me in fixing internet connection issues before having one come out. One thing to keep in mind if you go this route is, that if you are using the same service provider for your land-line phone, cable, and internet, it would be wise to utilize a portable cell or mobile phone when you contact your provider--some of the fixes the automated system and the live technician will do (such as rebooting where the cable plugs in) could cut off your landline service at the time you are speaking with the technician or automated assistance. Good luck!
--
Ted Chittenden

Every story has at least two sides if not more.
---- Ana G <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Hi All,

My desktop has suddenly stopped connecting to the internet. I was using
it yesterday morning without any problems. Then when I turned it on
again in the afternoon, I noticed I had no internet. The systray icon
listed my network but said there was no connection.

To make a long story short, my first thought was that the problem was my
router, which likes to turn off randomly, but it's not the router
because I can access the internet on my phone, laptop, and tablet. I ran
the troubleshooter, and the troubleshooter says I have no valid IP
address, which doesn't make sense because, again, my cell phone, laptop,
and tablet have found it.

I didn't do anything to my desktop, as far as changing settings before
the problem started. After I lost my connection, I did try to go to the
place where you scan for a network and enter its password, but I
couldn't find it. Then the next time I checked my connection status, it
said I was on an unidentified network.

Does anyone have any suggestions about what I can try before having
someone come out? the computer is only a few months old. I'm hoping
there's a simple solution. It's a Dell running Windows 10.

Ciao

Archived on the World Wide Web at
    Signoff: [log in to unmask]
    Subscribe: [log in to unmask]