VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jim Hamilton <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jim Hamilton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Sep 2016 18:51:33 -0400
Bill:

It looks like you forgot something from your forward of my message.  Here it
is again - going out to the whole list, I assume.

"
On the other hand, my "alternative perspective" is to avoid the "cloud" as
much as possible.  I do understand that I do have, and will have no power to
stop some things from having to be stored in that way.  Technology is too
far along now to prevent that.  It's bad enough that my iPhone wants to
"enable" the iCloud, and make other changes to my settings, whenever the IOS
is updated, and that Apple keeps reminding me to install iCloud on my PC.
So, knowing that I can disable One Drive is something that I can do that
could save me a lot of grief!  It may not stop the other things from
happening; but, I like to have control over that which it is possible for me
to control.

When you get right down to it, I guess that I have extremely little faith
that there are any "privacy guarantees", especially once information gets
placed on the internet!  I come from the days when there was no internet,
CPM was the dominant OS, through the DOS days, and kicking and screaming all
the way through various iterations of various screen readers to JAWS 17 and
Windows 8.1.  As this journey progressed, I felt my ability to control
technology slip gradually away.  So, I am reluctant to relinquish what
control I have.

Just venting...  I have absolutely no problem with other people using the
cloud.  It's just a different generation/way of looking at the world these
days.  I have no problem with progress in general; but, I do object to me
being forceably "progressed"!  I like to know that what "has" worked for me
up until now, will "continue" to work for me in the future.

Nonetheless, I am left with a "quick" question.  When people upgrade to
Windows 10, are they forced to use the cloud?  Would there be anything -
e.g. settings, contacts, anything -  that "automatically" would be sent to
the cloud?  If so, and if possible, what steps could be taken to
prevent/minimize the use of the cloud in Windows 10?  And, would it still be
possible to "disable" One Drive - I'm assuming "yes"?

Secondarily, is there anything in upcoming versions of JAWS, e.g. V: 18,
where one should be cautious about potential use of the cloud?

Thanks for listening to my short rant.

Jim H
"