VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
ted chittenden <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
ted chittenden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Jan 2016 19:19:56 -0700
Hi to all.

While Dan is correct as far as he goes, his solution does *not* allow one to choose which file types load in which specific programs (or apps, as Windows 10 refers to them), which is the question Harry asked in the first place.

Harry, there are a few ways you can do this, and a lot will depend on how much RAM memory you have available. If you are running 4 gigabytes of RAM like I am, then, although the old way to change this information is available, it will lock up JAWS when you try to access it (the old way being to type the words "file types" in the Control panel, then choosing the second entry which will bring up a list of all of the file types and which programs they are currently linked to). Fortunately, there is a way around this so that you can set specific file types for specific programs using JAWS that doesn't cause JAWS to lock up when the list comes up (assuming, of course, you have the RAM issue I currently have).

As I said at the top, Dan's steps are correct as far as they go. However, after you get to the default apps buttons, here is what you need to do after setting those apps:

1) Tab to the last item in this series of buttons/links, "Set Defaults by APP," and press the Enter key.

2) Tab down to the list of apps on your computer (mine has 52; yours may have more or fewer).

3) Use your up and down arrow keys to select which app you wish to specify file types for. Then tab down to the button that says "Choose Defaults For This Program," and press the spacebar.

4) What comes up is a check box that asks if you want all of the available file types for that app (program) to open up in that program. If you do, then check that check box and then tab down to the "Save Button" and press the spacebar.

On the other hand, if you don't want all of the file types that could possibly be associated with that program to open up in that program, only some of them, then leave the "Make all of the available file types open up in this program" check box unchecked and tab to the list of available programs. Then use your up and down arrow keys to find the file types you want to open in that particular program, and use the spacebar to check off those file types (and make sure that file types that you don't want to open in that specific program are unchecked). After you have gone through the list, go to the "Save button" and press the spacebar, then go to the "OK" button and press the spacebar again.

I have successfully used this method to determine which file types to have Winamp and Windows Media player open on my computer without any issues. Good luck!
--
Ted Chittenden

Every story has at least two sides if not more.
---- Dan Rossi <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
To set your default apps in Windows 10:

Hit windows-key + i to open settings
Hit enter on system.

Arrow down to Default apps and press enter.

Then tab through the options like mail, maps, music player.  Hit enter on
one you want to change, then arrow through the options and hit enter on
which application you want to be default.

--
Blue skies.
Dan Rossi

Archived on the World Wide Web at