VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Thu, 12 Nov 2015 15:03:02 -0800
7bit
Sender:
From:
Hi all,

I don't hear my screen reader when I use an HDMI cable to hook my laptop
up to a projection system in the classroom. I definitely plan to contact
Classroom Media Services for tech support, but before I do, I want to
understand how the screen reader figures into the mix.

As I've posted here, I connect my laptop to the classroom's projection
system so I can write examples while I lecture. My previous laptops all
had VGA ports so I was able to plug the classroom's VGA cable into it
and press the VGA button on the teacher's station. My students would see
my screen on the overhead projector. I would hear the screen reader from
the laptop's speakers or from my headset (if I had one plugged in).

My new laptop only has an HDMI port. Classroom Media Services told me
that would work just fine. I'd need to buy an HDMI cable, plug one end
to my laptop and the other to the teacher's station, then push the HDMI
button. So I did all that today, not knowing whether I'd hear the screen
reader come out of the laptop's speakers or the classroom's projection
system.

what happened was that I did not hear the screen reader at all. Whenever
the screen was being projected, there was no speech. when there was
speech, no image was projected. I tried plugging a headset into the
laptop, but I still heard nothing. In one class, I went ahead and typed,
as we did in the typewriter era, without feedback, but it was tough so I
didn't do that in the other class.

Should I expect to hear the screen reader, or should I expect to ask
about something specific in order to hear my screen reader?

Thanks.

Ciao

Archived on the World Wide Web at
    Signoff: [log in to unmask]