VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Wed, 11 Nov 2015 21:56:56 -0800
7bit
Sender:
From:
Hi all,

How do you deal with a computer that's too quiet and too still?

Computers have gotten progressively quieter over the years. In general,
I very much like this trend. My current desktop and my recently departed
netbook are both so quiet that I only hear them when the house is
silent. In fact, if the usual household noise is going on, I often
confirm the computer is running by touching some part of the body to
feel the subtle vibration. this is helpful when the computer is taking
longer than usual to power up or power down, when the shut-down is
blocked by an app, or when the screen reader is acting up.

My newest laptop, the HP I bought a week or so ago, is completely silent
and completely still. there's no soft click on powering up, no barely
perceptible blowing of the fan, no subtle vibration from whatever moving
parts may be inside. the only sign of life I have, aside from the screen
reader, is that the bottom warms up a little after some use. This
doesn't help me troubleshoot or verify anything because it takes a while
to warm up and another while to cool down.

What do the rest of you do to check the system is alive when you're not
sure?

Ciao

Archived on the World Wide Web at
    Signoff: [log in to unmask]