From:
Date:
Mon, 13 Jul 2015 10:47:28 -0500
There is considerable debate about the G5RV antenna, e.g. how well it works;
is it truly an all-band antenna, etc. In fact, we have had similar exchanges
right here on our Blind Hams's email list. In my pursuit of the best
antennas to erect in various situations, including the current location of
my new home in a highly restricted area, I have studied the G5RV and in the
process of my research, I found the following information written by my good
friend Buck over at Buxcomm. If you don't know Buck, he is an old ex-marine.
He's pretty rough around the edges, as the expression goes, but old Buck
tells it the way it is with no BS. Here is what Buck says about the G5RV
antenna, which is pretty much the same thing that all other really
knowledgeable people say about the G5RV:

*****

".About thirty years ago we ran several antenna range tests on the G5RV. We
used a high-frequency,

National Bureau of Standards (NBS) calibrated Potomac Instruments FIM-41,
field-intensity meter. The

companion antenna was the HF NBS calibrated measurements dipole.

The weather was clear, and the transmitting station was adjusted to 100
watts, into an original G5RV

antenna.

The purpose for conducting these tests was because we had constructed
several G5RV antennas and the

performance of each one was, at best, poor! Our findings were despicable on
the HF bands, with the

exception of 20 meters.

Sometime later we came across some of Mr Varney (G5RV) notes. In his notes
and description of his

G5RV antenna, we learned that he had really designed the G5RV to be used as
a good 20 meter antenna,

nothing more. Somehow over the years his antenna became (assumed to be), an
HF or multiband

antenna. This assumption was so far from the truth and from Mr Varney's
original design.

THE G5RV IS NOT A MULTI-BAND ANTENNA ! The only HAM band where it has a zero
(0)

current node IS at 14 MHz (20 meters).

For several years, we've attempted to give notice to our friends and
customers that relate to the G5RV.

Most of our findings have fallen on deaf ears, or to the G5RV users who
would not hear the truth.

Any antenna, (non-resonant long-wire, included), can be tuned to resonance
on almost any HAM band.

This is why many good manufacturers build and sell antenna tuners. You can
confirm this notion each

time you use an HF mobile antenna.

HERE NOW, IN HIS OWN WORDS:

312

After several years, our findings are being realized by some of the leading
transceiver

manufacturers. To support our findings, on page 8 of several YAESU
transceiver

manuals, Yaesu engineers inserted a short paragraph that finally put-to-rest
these

findings. The following text is an excerpt from one of those Yaesu
transceiver manuals

"ANTENNA CONSIDERATIONS

Every effort should be made to ensure that the impedance of the antenna
system be as close

as possible to the specified 50-Ohm value. Note that the "G5RV" type antenna
does NOT

provide a 50-Ohm impedance on all HF Amateur bands.

Any antenna to be used with the FT-950 must be fed from the transceiver with

50 Ohm coaxial cable. Therefore, when using a "balanced" antenna such as a
dipole, remember

that a balun or other matching/balancing device must be used to ensure
proper antenna

performance. etc... "

Excerpt from Page 8 FT-950 OPERATING MANUAL.

We like to sell antennas, and we like to sell the G5RV (+), however, it is
our sincere objective to be

completely above-board about this antenna. It is NOT an all-band HF
antenna."

*****

Dr. Ronald E. Milliman

Retired Professor of Marketing