Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Thu, 12 Nov 2015 19:40:04 +1300
7bit
From:
Dave Allen <[log in to unmask]>
Hi Linda!

Depends on what is near. If you're a braille user, then paper works most
efficiently in my experience. Depending on the type of net and what
information you need to keep track of, it may be necessary to develop your
own form of short-hand for the job, but the bottom line is whatever you use
must be efficient because under most circumstances, you don't have time to
waste figuring things out. If the management requires a report, you can
develop your shortcuts in a way that will speed your compiling the report
after QNF, because when the net isn't in session, you do have more time to
think about what happened or didn't as the case may be.

If anyone thinks this reads more like traffic net ideas, that's no accident
because most of the NCS work I've done has been in the traffic arena.
Whether or not the net is part of the system, the practice is pretty
standard.

Keep each station on a separate line, although if it isn't a traffic net,
this isn't so necessary. One of the shortcuts I used to use was rubbing down
the number signs before counting messages that were successfully passed.
Doing that reduced my need for editing. An obviously rubbed down number sign
meant success.

It was easy then to keep glancing up and down the page to keep in mind what
had been done or not during the net, and afterward, still kept the log
readable enough that it helped me to compile the report that was needed.

I generally used a brailler for the faster CW or SSB/FM nets, but when
running a slower net under 13 wpm, I never had any trouble using a slate and
stylus when operating more portable, which is just a natural part of keeping
comfortable in some of the less convenient places I've operated from.

I have done it using a note taker successfully, but nothing beats paper for
maximum efficiency. Easy enough to manage operations in my head without
screwing up any pairings.

Sometimes, propagation dictated some pairings to be different from what I
may have wished, but propagation rules because if it ain't with you, you can
only do what that condition allows. Just an example, during summer, folks in
New England might not hear folks in Florida, so if you have to set up a
pairing like that, and hopefully both parties have 40 meters, apair them on
40 for the exchange.

If you don't know what capabilities a station has, asking them is the way
you discover what you can do.

Don't mean for this to be daunting at all because it's some of the best
training you'll ever get anywhere and you can't buy better in my humble
opinion.

Good luck with your plan to increase your actrivity. The best NCS I ever
worked with was a deaf fellow, KN1K. He kept his filter wide so his
transducer heard everyone and if someone sent at a break-neck speed, Bob
copied them and only bad propagation ever got in his way at the worst of
times. Sometimes, I'd just watch him and read the mail as he ran a session,
trying to guess what he might do against what he did. There is no better way
to improve than shadowing the best you can find.

Hope this is of some help. Let me know if you need any more details.

   73,
Dave