Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Wed, 30 Sep 2015 13:16:09 -0400
From:
Steve Forst <[log in to unmask]>
7bit
Mike,

I don't have any experience with any of the antennas you mention, but
perhaps an inverted L would be better than the long wire.  For long haul
stuff on 160, vertical antennas are the way to go.   You would get that
from the inverted L, or the other 2 antennas you mention.

I'm using what is probably the worst antenna for 160, a loaded dipole
that isn't very high.  You have a better location than me, and would
probably do well no matter what antenna you use.

While there is plenty of SSB activity, and even DX, my experience is
that CW is the better mode on this band.  I have 19 DXCC countries on
160 SSB worked, and 60 countries on CW.   Only country I worked on phone
that I couldn't repeat on CW was Gambia.

Of course, your location may give you nice  SSB contacts into western
Europe, that I could only dream about.

Good luck.  Now is the time to do something before the snow flies.

Do you know what the bandwidth would be for  the Zero 5 antenna with the
optional coil?

73, Steve KW3A