From:
Colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Nov 2015 12:10:41 -0700
the loud hum is caused by one of two things: a short across the ground and
audio wires...or one of the wires not connected.
Easy enough for either to happen when soldering onto microphone plugs.
The high/low impedance switch would have nothing to do with this...the only
thing it would do is reduce the audio level when switched to low impedance.
Sounds like your guy may have missed the most obvious problem of a short or
bad connection and rewired what didn't need rewiring.
There is absolutely no reason to open the mic and fiddle with the wiring
inside.
As I said, mics are super simple, there are two wires connected to the audio
element, that go from the element down to the plug on the end of the
mic...the shield and ground pins are shorted together on the back of the
plug...some mics will have a switch to turn it on and off...and this one
obviously has an impedance switch which puts a resister in line to
compensate.  The result of this resister is simply lower audio due to
impedance mismatch ...nothing else.  There may have been an issue with the
cable, but again, cutting one end off to access the wires is easy enough and
you just use the wires you need...no need to rewire plugs and the mic or
anything else like that lol.
If I remember, your radio has a 4 pin mic plug...common ground, PTT, audio
and audio ground or is the fourth pin plus voltage...anyway, it's pretty
basic stuff.

73
Colin, V A6BKX