From:
Tom Fowle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Oct 2015 18:26:47 -0700
Just for fun, here's another output method.  I found a "hobby servo"
intended for large model aircraft or boats, that swings through 180 degrees
in under a second.  It has "holding torque" so strong it's hard to force a
pointer mounted on the servo to move when it's stopped.

So I ran this with a microcontroller and made a meter reader out of it.  Has
a tactile dial with moving pointer.

Again, because Smith-Kettlewell had no ability to make more than a
prototype, that's all I could do.

But having a real tactile moving pointer meter was a ball.  Yes it worked
fine across a VSWR meter.

Lest you think the servo was expensive, it cost about $13.00. and outside of
the braille dial and custom pointer, I doubt there were over $30.00  in
parts in the project.  But to build themin small quantities would be pretty
high cost.

Tom Fowle WA6IVG