From:
Lloyd Rasmussen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lloyd Rasmussen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Oct 2015 22:57:45 -0400
When you are in a QSO with one or more stations, and if they are at least a
little louder than the background noise or QRM, it is useful to turn the RF
gain control down somewhat so that the noise doesn't come up quite so loud
between words or CW characters. This reduces fatigue.
Automatic gain controls try to maintain a very constant volume level of the
received signal and noise, although they can very in their decay (recovery)
time constants. Some receives have a "sloped AGC" setting which only
partially compensates for changes in signal level; using this function would
be a lot like reducing the RF gain setting.
73,

Lloyd Rasmussen, W3IUU, Kensington, MD
http://lras.home.sprynet.com