From:
Eric Oyen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Sep 2015 10:35:58 -0700
here is an alternative that is pretty easy to build.

1 you will need 50 feet of PVC pipe and at least 1/4 wave of enameled magnet wire. the idea here is to make a helical wound antenna (much like a firestik. the windings will need to be widely spaced at the bottom (about 1 turn per foot and gradually reducing to a tight wound coil near the top. You can also create loaded ground radials this way. The ground radials definitely need to be 1/4 wave long (electrically). the vertical element can be 1/4 up to 3/4 waves (wound). THis will make an excellent low space vertical antenna.

as a second (receive only) you can create a magnetic loop antenna that is not much larger than 10 feet in diameter. the top will be split and a tuning cap placed there. there is also a secondary coupling loop (this will directly connect to the coax). with the addition of a preamp, you will have a station that can produce a decent signal on 160 with the ears to match.

DE n7zzt Eric