From:
Date:
Sun, 19 Jul 2015 09:15:16 -0500
Dustin, I don't think I've seen you on our Blind Hams' email list before.
So, welcome aboard.  The overall best, most accessible transceivers on the
market today are the Kenwood rigs, regardless of whether you are referring
to transceivers covering the HF bands, 160 throu 10 meters, or the VHF/UHF
bands, 6 meters throu 70 CM. Many of us, maybe even the majority of us, have
the TS-480 or TS-590 for the HF bands and the TM-V71a for VHF/UHF. As you
probably already know, these rigs do not come with the voice module already
in them; you have to purchase the voice module as an option and install it
yourself or have someone install it for you.

As another excellent alternative, some have one of the Elecraft transceivers
and find it quite accessible as well.

Many of us have one or more of the Chinese handhelds, and though they are a
bit more challenging to program, we have been able to configure them. Some
of us program them manually, while others use their computers.

The other manufacturers such as Ten-Tec, Yaesu, and Icom, have not been
willing to do much, if anything, to accommodate our needs and make their
equipment accessible.

Ron, K8HSY