From:
Butch Bussen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 May 2015 15:49:30 -0700
Some times I have problems geting my head around the simplest of switching
circuits.  For a long time I've used sonalerts or similar radio shack
beeper as continuity testers.  I wanted one that would be a continuity
tester as well as a "beeping test light" that would beep if dc voltage was
present.  This simple little circuit will do just that.  In continuity
mode, it will check fuses, diodes, some capacitors and so forth.  In the
voltage test mode, it will tell you if voltage is there and what the
polarity is.  The neat thing about these little beepers if if you hook
them up backwards, nothing happens, they just don't beep.  The ones I use
are good from about 1.5 volts up to 20 volts.

Parts and circuit.  All you need is a couple test leads, plus and minus, a
sonalert or similar beeper, a double pole double throw switch with center
off, a xmall box,  and a nine volt battery and clip.

Picture the switch terminals as a braille cell.  Left terminals from top
down are 1 2 3 and right column from top down are numbered 4 5 and 6.  The
commons are of course 2 and 5.  In one position, 2 is connected to 1 and 5
is connected to 4.  The other way, 2 is connected to 3 and 5 is connected
to 6.  Here is the simple little circuit.

Common terminal 2 goes to positive test lead.  Common terminal 5 goes to
negative test lead.  Terminal 1 goes to the positive side  of the
sonalertand a jumper wire to terminal six.  Terminal 4 goes to negative of
the sonalert and to the negative of the 9 volt battery.  Terminal 3 goes
to the positive of the battery.

That is it.  In one position, 2 is connected to 1 and 5 is connected to 4.
This simply connects the test leads to the sonalert to test for dc
voltage, on a power supply or in a car.  The 9 volt ground is on terminal
4 which doesn't matter.

In the other position positive test lead on 2 is connected to 3 which is
the plus of the 9 volt battery.  The negative test lead on 5 is connected
to 6 which is jumpered to 1 which is the positive of the sonalert.
negative side of the sonalert is already grounded on terminal 4.  This
gives you a continuity tester to check fuses or diodes and since you know
which lead is plus, you know the polarity.  The same is true when checking
voltage.  If plus is to plus and negative to ground the thing beeps.  If
it is backwards, no beep so you know plus and minus dc volts.  It is
73
Butch
WA0VJR
Node 3148
Wallace, ks.

really a handy little box to have around.