From:
Steve Forst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 May 2015 10:17:14 -0400
Matt,

If this is a  open wire feed antenna you wouldn't want to make a feed
line choke out of the openwire.  If you had enough extra coax, you could
wind one  in the coax at the  balun, although  I doubt it would really
help with   your need to get more coverage on 80 meters.

I still think an e-mail to the guy who builds this thing  in New England
may help.   I understand he is pretty responsive.    He may tell you to
go ahead and get a tuner, or perhaps tweak the feedline length to get
what you want.

Perhaps a ham friend has an external tuner he can bring over and you can
see how it  does in your situation.  This is a pretty short antenna, and
you may have to  give up the  top of the band to get the bottom.

Another thought is an MFJ tuner extender,  which goes into the feedline
at the radio and   has a knob that changes some value to  make the
internal tuner see a better    situation down the feedline.   I forget
if it adds inductance, or capiticance, or whatever.   Some on the list
have had success with this unit, others not so much.

I've been running an MFJ 998 high power auto tuner for  about 8 years
with no problems with up to a kw output.

73, Steve KW3A.