Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Tue, 14 Jul 2015 12:19:27 -0400
From:
Danny Dyer <[log in to unmask]>
Dave, Gayle and all, It really depends on what you want your radio to
do, and what you want to do with your radio.
I have, use, and like, two of the Baofeng UV5R dual band HTS.  These
sell on Amazon and through other platforms for around 30US$s shipped.
For that price can they be any good?
Well, in my experience they certainly are!
With more useable speech than _any other HT I know of, they can be
programmed by a blind person (_without computer help or interference,)
simply from the radios' keypad.
If one is computer savvy, these radios can probably be programmed
faster and easier using a Beofeng or aftermarket cable with one's
favorite PC or Mac, and either Chirp or other software.
So how good, bad, or indifferent is the HT's performance?
Well, using either software and guides from Miklor.com or from our own
Buddy Brannon, who authored the eyes free guide for the uv5r, although
like all rigs they have their own querkiness, the reception and
transmitted signals with mine, are as good as, if not better than
other HTs I've worked with.  Receiver wise, for example, Where I live,
we get WX signals on 162.400, 425, 450,  525, and 550. All of which
are audible with the stock antenna, whereas my ic-t90A would only get
sigs on 425, 450, and 550.
There's good receiver sensitivity and already open xmit capability on
Ham, PSB, FRS, MURS, and other freqs.
You have to talk close to the ht, and across the mic, rather than
directly into it, for best clarity, Also, the ctcss tones can be set
very easily, for example, in that tone field, the required xmit tone
of 71.8 is set as 718, rather than having to remember some other code.

The SMA antenna connection is different, with the center pin appearing
in the radio rather than in the antenna.
And the Commercial FM reception isn't bad either.  In short, the radio
isn't perfect in every way for everybody's needs, but for the price,
it works pretty well, and if it goes down, it can be replaced pretty
inexpensively.
I like Kenwood, Icom, Yaesu and others, but for blind accessibility
and affordability, I'm pretty pleased with mine.  HTH, Danny