VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Wed, 15 Jun 2016 18:53:55 -0700
It wasn't my intention to support politically conservative thinking on
the beauties of capitalism and the free market. While competition may
have helped screen reader companies develop better products in the early
days, it hasn't done much to motivate them to develop more affordable
products that help people with disabilities find jobs and participate in
society, unless, of course, those efforts involve paying high prices for
the products themselves, for scripting, and so on. What's been more
helpful to the community lately have been less capitalistic endeavors
like NVDA, a screen reader developed by a couple of guys with private
donations; the Orbit braille display, also developed with money from
private donations; and various Kick Starter projects, like the one
currently being pushed for making Dragon more accessible to screen
reader users.

My question was more literal. How is the fact that one company owns two
lines of competing products in the areas of screen readers, screen
magnifiers, video magnifiers, and braille displays likely to benefit the
community? I can't imagine that having all these great minds in one
location will prompt them all to change their business paradigm. I'm
wondering what kinds of changes we can reasonably expect.

On 6/14/2016 8:12 PM, Tony Swartz wrote:
> While I appreciate the business analysis, it is somewhat simplistic, and I
> suspect motivated by partisan politics. In fact, there has been a movement
> among Wall Street players to focus on niche markets, in this instance, the
> low vision market, to buy up the more significant companies involved. It is
> not so much a move to stifle competition as it is to be the leader in a
> particular technology. Current projections indicate a significant growth in
> the incidence of low vision over the next two decades. The companies
> involved in these purchases while meaningful to us with no vision, are being
> snapped up because of their low vision technologies. Over the last decade,
> there have been other examples of The strategy to buy up/corner, disability
> related technologies. So nothing new here, nor is it based on current
> economic conditions.

Archived on the World Wide Web at
    Signoff: [log in to unmask]
    Subscribe: [log in to unmask]