VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Mon, 3 Aug 2015 12:00:58 -0700
Hi all,

Is there any way to force restart Jaws? When you're using NVDA, pressing
alt+ctrl+n, the hotkey that launches the screen reader, NVDA is
restarted. I'm wondering if there's a similar command for Jaws.

With every version of Jaws I've ever used, Jaws sometimes thinks I'm
holding down an additional key. For example, if I press Windows+d to go
to the desktop, Jaws says, "alt+Windows+d," or if I type the letter L to
jump to an item that begins with that letter, Jaws says, "alt+l." When
Jaws is in one of these moods, it sometimes reports the additional key
but behaves normally. More often it both reports the additional key and
behaves as if I were actually pressing it. What I'm describing happens
more in some versions of Jaws than others and is more likely to happen
when I touch a key too soon after Jaws loads. I'm using Jaws 15 now, and
it only happens occasionally.

Anyway, I can sometimes stop this behavior by pressing the numb-pad
ins+slash along with the additional key being reported (i.e., alt, ctrl,
shift, or some combination thereof). If this doesn't work, then the only
way to correct the problem is to restart Jaws. Sometimes I can use
ins+F4 or the Jaws menu to exit the screen reader, but most of the time,
this doesn't work. for instance today, Jaws reported that I was pressing
alt+ctrl and behaved as such, so when I got into the Jaws menu, I
couldn't exit by pressing the letter X because I'd launch Excel, and I
couldn't arrow to the Exit option because Jaws would simply announce
that I wasn't in a table. When something like this happens, I restart
the computer by holding down the power button.

So ... is there another way to restart Jaws?

Ciao

Archived on the World Wide Web at
    Signoff: [log in to unmask]
    Subscribe: [log in to unmask]