From:
Steve Forst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Sep 2015 12:33:08 -0400
Not sure what happened.  Never had the dreaded 20= thing before. Try
this as a new message and not a reply.  Sorry.

I have the 998 (higher power) and will defer to someone who has the 994,
but for what it's worth:

As Jim mentioned, there doesn't seem to be any audio feedback.   The SWR
beeps on some of the tuners  are  a bit clunky, and I don't use them,
but if you
have no other way to  get swr readings, they could be helpful.  But
again, not available on the 994.

Also doesn't seem to have the CW messages  I hear on the 998: "QRP" =
not enough power for a tune, "QRO" = too much power for a tune, "QRT" =
exceeded
max power and tuner is going into bypass.

I took a quick look at the manual and notice some of the things that are
announced by beeps on the 998, use   the meter pointer moving to various
things
on the 994.  As  an example,  if I want to switch the capacitance
between  input or output, I would hit 2 buttons and a single or double
beep will tell
you what you just did.  On the 994, this is all visual, using a meter
pointer.

There are a few other things that use this visual system, you would have
to read the manual and see if any of them are crucial to your needs.
Maybe not
a deal breaker.

If you do go this route, and plan on interfacing to a radio, you would
be better off with sighted help to set up the radio interface.  It is a
simple matter
of selecting your radio from the menu, but the menus don't  speak, wrap
around, and always revert to the last used menu (not menu number 1).
Unless the
menu system has been changed for this model, it can be  hard to work
through .    I did figure out how to reset to my radio model, but it was
a lot of
trial and error.  I've never had to mess with menus in  over 7 years, so
the menu thing  shouldn't be a problem, unless  (like me) you do a bone
head hard
reset of the tuner.

Many of us are using LDG or MFJ tuners with great success.  Good luck in
your choice.

I'm not saying this is a bad choice for you.   Read the manual and see
if what it offers is what you need.   Also not sure how this one
indicates no match.
If interfaced to a radio,  the radio may give some indication, but if
the tuner just keeps clanking away for an extended period, you can be
pretty sure
it is having problems.

73,Steve KW3A