VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
ted chittenden <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
ted chittenden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Jun 2016 12:53:07 -0700
Ana:
Your simple question raises a lot of issues, and some important information (such as which version of what screenreading software you are running or how much RAM memory is available in your computer and how much memory is available on your hard disk) is missing. You can find the last two peaces of information by following the advice at

In addition, you should keep in mind a couple of things. First, both Microsoft Windows and JAWS (assuming that is the program you are using) are memory hogs. To utilize JAWS with Windows, it is best if you have at least 8 g (gigabytes) of RAM (random access memory) running on your system, and if your system allows more memory to be added, you should add it. Second, from when I was getting trained in using Microsoft Word a few years back, I learned that the program automatically saves your work at specified times in case you lose power or some other emergency comes up. I'm sure the 2016 version of Word does the same thing in spades, and if you don't have enough available RAM or RAM and paging file memory combined to run Windows, Word, and JFW at the same time, then you are going to have some major memory error issues.

I recently upgraded my system's RAM from 4 g to 16 g and had a new, larger solid state disk drive installed, and both have done wonders for the amount of memory available to run the programs I use. However, I must warn you that going this route isn't cheap (I ended up paying $435 for my upgrade and that didn't include charges for labor). Good luck!
--
Ted Chittenden

Every story has at least two sides if not more.
---- Ana G <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
My answers are inline, with another question. Someone suggested calling
the Microsoft disability number. That's a good idea, but I'm guessing
it's best to do that while I'm in the throes of computer drama?

On 6/20/2016 6:12 AM, Guerra Access Technology Training LLC wrote:
> 1.  Are you running any other programs while you're working in Word?
>
> A. When I'm working in Word, I'm almost always running Thunderbird and firefox at the same time. Depending on the project, Firefox may be open almost all the time or just here and there. It's not unusual for me to have multiple tabs open.

When I had my memory error, I had Firefox running off and on, mostly
off. I don't remember if it was open or not when the actual error
occurred. I think it was closed, but can't swear on a stack of bibles.

> 2.  How often or when was the last time you ran a "Disk Cleanup" on the hard drive running Windows 10?

A. How does one run a disk clean-up in windows 10. When I've tried, I
get a message telling me that I don't need to because Windows does all
this quietly in the background. If I've got a lot of computer work to
do, I leave it on while I eat lunch, etc., to give it an opportunity to
do that. So the answer is that I've never done a manual disk clean-up.

> 3.  Have you only experienced this with MS Word or with any other Office16 programs?

A. I've only experienced this twice, the two times I described in my
original message. I was using Word. In one case, I had a large file. In
the other, a small one.