VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Thu, 17 Jul 2014 07:39:16 -0700
I was able to download my file yesterday, but the solution was curious
indeed. When I used NVDA instead of Jaws, the download was successful.

Before I received any of the responses from the list, I decided I'd just
try different things to find out which worked. Not knowing where else to
start, I tried changing the screen reader. So I turned off
Jaws, started NVDA, and tried my download again. This time, everything
worked correctly the first time.

Here are some of the differences I noticed:

* The ftp link was sent to me in an email message. With Jaws, the link
was not identified as a link. I tried to activate it with cursor
routing and mouse simulation, but that didn't work, so I eventually
copied and pasted it into the browser. I also tried typing the URL
manually, but neither worked. With NVDA, the ftp link was identified as
a link, and I was able to tab to it
and press enter to activate.

* Logging in came next. With Jaws, I was not able to log in using
Firefox or Internet Explorer. With NVDA, I logged in using Firefox
without any difficulty. I didn't try the other browsers.

* downloading was the final step. With Jaws, I reached the Download
screen only in Chrome. I could read the title of the book, but didn't
know there was
a checkbox. When I moved to the title and press the context key, I
didn't find any options that might help me download the file, even after
I used cursor
routing. With NVDA, I found the title, a check box, and another item,
which was a details check box. When I pressed the context key, I found a
Copy to
Folder link, and I didn't have to do anything special to ensure that
focus was on the file name.

Afterward, I closed the web page and tried redownloading the file with
Jaws, but again, I wasn't able to do it.

Just for giggles, I went to the audible site to download my books. I'd
tried the night before without success. I didn't have any success again
while using Jaws, but they downloaded the first time when I tried
downloading with NVDA.

I wasn't expecting the screen reader to make a difference. I do notice
that downloads tend to go better with NVDA, even in Internet Explorer,
and the web
generally works better with NVDA, but I've never had an experience like
this.

Why would Jaws interfere with the log in and download?

I'm using Windows 8 and current versions of Jaws, NVDA, and all three
browsers.

Archived on the World Wide Web at
    Signoff: [log in to unmask]
    Subscribe: [log in to unmask]