VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Mon, 14 Jul 2014 07:15:10 -0700
I agree with David H. Voice commands work fairly well, but it takes
time. The devices need to get used to our voices, and we need to get
used to speaking in ways that make sense to the devices. also, voice
recognition is based on prediction to some degree, so common utterances
always yield better results than less common ones.

I don't use Siri. I use Google Voice on my Androids. I notice that
recognition has a hard time with proper names. It does well on common
names like Wendy, Frank, and Cecile, but it struggles with names that
are more unusual. for example, I freelance for a company called
Communicaid. Even though it's in my contacts and even though I send or
receive calls about once a week and have multiple calendar events that
include the company name, I can't get the recognizer to enter it
correctly, so I either correct the name or type it, then use voice
recognition on the rest of the calendar entry.

Archived on the World Wide Web at
    Signoff: [log in to unmask]
    Subscribe: [log in to unmask]