From:
Ron Canazzi <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 9 May 2015 21:11:47 -0400
As long as we're way off on this topic, I have a few comments.

We often hear about bad amateur practice and all those bad operators on
the Hf and mostly on the VHF bands.  I for one am part of a group that
is a simplex based group on 2 meters in the Western New York area.  We
talk about everything, anything and practically everyone who matters and
some who don't.  We are shunned, attacked, jammed ETC. ETC. ETC.  New
comers to the hobby are warned off by the old fart ham clubs in the area.

Yet despite all this, no one ever warns off new comers or anyone else
about the horrific examples that have been discussed that occur mostly
on HF on 80, 40 and 20 meters.  Unlike us, those guys run major
power--sometimes exceeding legal limits--and involve themselves in some
real shady activity.  Some of these activities on HF go on for years and
in one case the 3853 80 meter group--for more than a decade.

I am very suspicious that some sinister forces at high levels of the
power structure look the other way with respect to these groups.  At a
time in the future--their mostly extreme right wing agenda could be of
use to the power structure in acting as a sort of paramilitary force
which will absolve the true legal authorities of any wrong doing in the
event that certain operations of the status quo that some at high levels
might deem necessary can be carried out without any direct connection to
the folks in power.
This has been the classic mode of operation of many authoritarian
governments in Europe and Latin America in the past hundred years or so.

It's just my opinion.

On 5/9/2015 8:16 PM, Mike Duke, K5XU wrote:
> Those domestic terrorist nets are pretty scary sometimes, and sometimes
> they can be rather amusing. the scariest thing about them is how
> seriously they take themselves.
>
> My first encounter with that type of group occurred at about the time
> the two individuals who were convicted in the Oklahoma City bombing
> case were to be executed. They ranted for days about what their group
> would do if "that government kills those boys.."
>
> One of the primary ranters, who, as Phil described, had a signal which
> was disproportionately louder than everybody else, took to the air one
> evening and declared that since the FCC had challenged his license, he
> had told them exactly where they could put that license, and that he
> would keep right on operating without one.
>
> He did it too. Initially on the ham bands, later on various pirate
> radio hang outs and other frequencies that he simply claimed for his own use.
>
> Does anyone else here admit to remembering the name Steve Anderson?
> That is the person I am writing about. He would open his rantcast each
> night with the song "From My Cold Dead Hand," and close it with
> Tennessee Ernie Ford's recording of "Onward Christian Soldiers." He
> would regularly read the contact information for patriot militia groups
> in each state. I was told by someone who I felt knew what they were
> talking about, that most of the militia groups had tried to distance
> themselves from him.
>
> His propaganda career ended one day when he took some shots at a county
> sheriff, and said sheriff returned the fire.
>
> Anderson was not killed, but managed to escape the pursuit for a
> surprisingly long time. Eventually he was caught, and was sent to a
> federal prison somewhere. Atlanta, I think.

---