From:
Steve Dresser <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Jan 2015 13:55:11 -0500
Richard,

You have a couple of options for finding out the right port.  First, there's
trial and error.  COM1 and COM2 are usually assigned to serial ports, so
those can be eliminated.  Starting with COM3, try each port until one of
them works.  The other method is to go to the Device Manager in Control
Panel and look for your USB cable and see which port it's assigned to.  This
is the most reliable way to find the port, but if you're not comfortable
using the Device Manager, you may prefer the first method.

No matter which method you use, make sure the radio is turned on.  I'm not
sure whether the volume control has any effect, but I turn it up a little.

Steve