VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Wed, 18 Feb 2015 13:44:09 -0700
Sender:
From:
ted chittenden <[log in to unmask]>
Hi to all.

While the below article is not aimed specifically at the blind or visually impaired community, I think it is an important one when discussing possible jobs and careers for this group of which I am a member. With the possible exceptions of physician, physician's assistant, and pharmacist, I think that all of the jobs listed could be performed satisfactorily by blind and visually impaired people. And, since many of these desirable jobs involve the use of computers and software, I thought it very appropriate to send the article to this list.

Finally, while I have included the text of the article below my signature, there are links inside the text that did not transfer to my email service. For that reason, I am including the website's address between my signature and the article's text.
--
Ted Chittenden

Every story has at least two sides if not more.
----
http://www.thetradingreport.com/2015/02/18/the-25-highest-paying-jobs-with-the-most-openings/

The 25 Highest Paying Jobs With The Most Openings
By Julie Bort (Business Insider | Original Link) · On February 18, 2015

 2

Who makes more money, on average, a doctor or a lawyer? A product manager or a tax manager?

And which fields are still hiring like mad?

Those are the questions that job-hunting site Glassdoor set out to answer when it created its latest list of the 25 best-paying jobs in high demand.

No 25: Sales Engineer

No 25: Sales Engineer

Instagram/dagirlamz

Average Base Salary: $90,899

Number of Job Openings: 5,508

A sales engineer is the technical resource for the sales force that helps them make sure bids and contracts meet the customers’ technical specifications.

No. 24: Business Development Manager

No. 24: Business Development Manager

University of Exeter/Flickr

Average Base Salary: $95,139

Number of Job Openings: 11,037

A business development manager is a sales role that typically involves both sales and marketing.

No. 23: Software Engineer

No. 23: Software Engineer

Hackers of NY

Average Base Salary: $96,392

Number of Job Openings: 99,055

A software engineer is a software programmer. Every company needs them, from the tech companies building software to sell to others, to the enterprises building apps for internal use.

No 22: Human Resources Manager

No 22: Human Resources Manager

Flickr/USDAgov

Average Base Salary: $96,406

Number of Job Openings: 7,220

The HR manager is in charge of things like hiring, benefits, and training.

No. 21: UX Designer

No. 21: UX Designer

Flickr/dboyfotopages

Average Base Salary: $96,855

Number of Job Openings: 2,010

UX designers, or user-experience designers, are the ones who make sure the product looks and feels good and functions in a way that is easy for people to use.

No. 20: Database Administrator

No. 20: Database Administrator

Flickr/Peter Hardy

Average Base Salary: $97,258

Number of Job Openings: 9,041

A company’s database is among the most important bits of software it owns, keeping track of customers, transactions, and inventory. A database administrator runs it.

No. 19: Marketing Manager

No. 19: Marketing Manager

Jim Edwards

Average Base Salary: $100,229

Number of Job Openings: 14,179

A marketing manager plans, directs, and coordinates the marketing of the organization’s products and/or services.

No. 18: Computer Hardware Engineer

No. 18: Computer Hardware Engineer

Facebook Engineering

Average Base Salary: $101,154

Number of Job Openings: 1,264

A computer hardware engineer designs computers and all sorts of other electronic devices.

No. 17: QA Manager

Average Base Salary: $101,330

Number of Job Openings: 1,689

A QA or “quality assurance” manager performs tests to make sure a product, service, or software performs like it should.

No. 16: Security Engineer

No. 16: Security Engineer

Reduxio

Average Base Salary: $102,749

Number of Job Openings: 2,060

A security engineer designs, deploys, and monitors systems that secures a company’s network, software, and other assets.

No. 15: Data Scientist

No. 15: Data Scientist

Intel Free Press/flickr

Average Base Salary: $105,395

Number of Job Openings: 3,433

A data scientist is a super-hot field right now. This person helps a company find insights out of heaps of data.

No. 14: Supply Chain Manager

No. 14: Supply Chain Manager

Flickr/St Kitts & Nevis Government

Average Base Salary: $106,632

Number of Job Openings: 1,667

A supply chain manager works with a company’s vendors to buy parts, materials, and supplies for building the company’s products.

No. 13: Physician Assistant

No. 13: Physician Assistant

Flickr / DIPB Images

Average Base Salary: $110,871

Number of Job Openings: 43,678

A PA sees patients and practices medicine under the supervision of physicians and surgeons.

No. 12: Product Manager

No. 12: Product Manager

Innovate360/flickr

Average Base Salary: $113,959

Number of Job Openings: 9,918

A product manager helps run the teams that design and market a product.

No. 11: Pharmacist

Milos Bicanski/Getty Images

Average Base Salary: $114,715

Number of Job Openings: 9,160

A pharmacist dispenses prescription medications and provides information about those medications to patients.

No. 10: Tax Manager

Average Base Salary: $114,966

Number of Job Openings: 3,622

A tax manager handles accounting and tax handling functions at a company.

No. 9: IT Manager

No. 9: IT Manager

Flickr/Leonardo Rizzi

Average Base Salary: $115,642

Number of Job Openings: 17,161

An IT manager runs manages a company’s technology infrastructure.

No. 8: Analytics Manager

No. 8: Analytics Manager

Sebastiaan ter Burg/Flickr

Average Base Salary: $115,725

Number of Job Openings: 1,408

An analytics manager performs business and financial analysis to help the company measure its success and predict its needs.

No. 7: Lawyer

Average Base Salary: $120,424

Number of Job Openings: 5,520

A lawyer represents and advises people, businesses, and government agencies in criminal and civil litigation.

No. 6: Solutions Architect

No. 6: Solutions Architect

Bahnhof

Average Base Salary: $121,522

Number of Job Openings: 3,530

A solutions architect designs and engineers complex software or computer systems.

No. 5: Finance Manager

No. 5: Finance Manager

Flickr / Rainer Stropek

Average Base Salary: $123,534

Number of Job Openings: 9,224

A finance manager helps a company strategically manage its money so that it can finance its business needs.

No. 4: Software Development Manager

Average Base Salary: $123,747

Number of Job Openings: 2,249

A software development manager is a project leader for software projects.

No. 3: Software Architect

Average Base Salary: $130,891

Number of Job Openings: 3,229

A software architect designs complex software applications.

No. 2: Pharmacy Manager

Average Base Salary: $131,099

Number of Job Openings: 1,787

A pharmacy manager oversees and manages pharmacy operations.

No. 1: Physician

Average Base Salary: $212,270

Number of Job Openings: 7,984

A physician examines patients, prescribes medications, and treats injuries and illnesses.

Archived on the World Wide Web at
    Signoff: [log in to unmask]
    Subscribe: [log in to unmask]