From:
Richard Lovegrove <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Richard Lovegrove <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 May 2015 15:05:13 -0400

Recently there was a post to the list from a person who implied, based on a phone conversation and the fact that she felt bad after eating a product, that Kraft was not following the allergen law.

The allergen law requires any wheat from any source to be listed. It does not require the same of barley, rye or oats. According to phone conversations I’ve had with Kraft and to their online FAQ, they are in fact following the law because they list wheat, including wheat in ingredients from third-party providers. If they did not, they would indeed be violating the law.

Kraft goes beyond the requirements of the allergen law by clearly labeling ANY gluten from ingredient sources they control. But they also clearly say in their FAQ that they can’t make any guarantees about some third-party ingredients. I suppose it’s possible that Kraft is lying about listing wheat, but I can tell you that early on in my diagnosis 13 years ago, Kraft was one of the few companies that went the extra mile.

I acknowledge that the fact that there’s the possibility of gluten (probably the only real threat here is barley) in some ingredients does make it dicier to trust a handful of their products, but I thought it should be made clear here that there’s no evidence I’m aware of that Kraft is ignoring the allergen law.

Richard