From:
Pat Byrne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Apr 2015 09:15:02 -0500
The short answer is yes!  Tubes can fail over time or they can fail
in a heartbeat.  Your finals dropping current after they are tuned
could be a symptom of tired tubes - or is there perhaps a tube driver
(12BY7) or the like?  It too could be dropping in emission resulting
in lowered drive to the finals.   I suppose a quick check would be to
put in your backup set of 6146s and see if you see the same
symptoms.  And if you have a spare driver, try the same.
Good luck.