From:
Phil Scovell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Feb 2015 19:45:04 -0700
I've been listening to the T I 9 operating on the various bands and the
first day they were ashore, is the worst jamming on the DX transmitting
frequency I think I've ever heard.  I'm not counting all the hundreds of
guys that forget to switch to a split frequency mode but I'm referring to
all the carriers, zero beat carriers, and what we used to call quarm as in
QRM.  I think it was the first day of island operating I heard the jamming
on 17 meters but when he switched to 40 meters that night, the same thing
happened on that band.  I was glad I didn't need to work him since I've
worked a half a dozen Cocos Island operations over the last 40 years plus
but the pile ups, as I tuned through all the calling stations I could hear,
really spread out across the bands.  It reminded me of the hk0tu operation
from Malpelo.  The second operation from there I heard and worked was run by
the HK boys alone, as I recall, and on both phone and CW, they said they
were listening from 14200 to 14275.  Man, what a mess that turned out to be.
Of course, this was when Americans couldn't go below 14200 so the band was
smaller.  CW was just as bad because they had them spread out all over the
band.  The HK operators would work one station and then quickly tune up the
band.  Guys kept moving across the band, dropping in just atop the current
station being worked in hopes they be next in line.  The old pile up just
got bigger and wider.  Fortunately, I think they stayed for two weeks or
maybe it was ten days.

Phil.
K0NX